After a summer of rocking the beachy, sunkissed highlight look on my hair, it has definitely taken a toll. I mean, I loved how it looked. But, how it felt was another story. Not only was I colour processing my hair regularly, but the increase and sun exposure, chlorine, and heat styling really did a number on my locks.
Here is a quick and easy recipe that is perfect for moisturizing and repairing damaged hair, using none other than my favourite, coconut oil!
What You’ll Need
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp honey
A bowl to mix the ingredients in and a spoon to mix with
A pot or ceramic bowl that the mixing bowl can fit inside of
Hot water from the kettle
- Boil some water in a kettle.
- Place coconut oil and honey into the mixing bowl.
- Place mixing bowl with contents into the ceramic bowl or pot.
- When water is finished boiling, gently and carefully pour some into the larger bowl/pot , around the mixing bowl. Fill it up enough to transfer heat into the smaller bowl and to mix the contents in it.
- Once the coconut oil and honey is mixed up, apply to your hair.
- Leave in for 20-30 minutes, and then wash it out with your fave shampoo or conditioner.
- Slightly dampen your hair to make the concoction go on easier
- Use more coconut and honey for thicker and/or longer hair
- Put all of your hair up and wrap it with saran wrap after you’ve applied the mask. This helps trap the body heat between your scalp and the saran wrap, helping to open your hair cuticles to really absorb the treatment!
Do this once every 1-2 weeks for soft and moisturised hair! While you’ve got this mask sitting in your hair, might as well give yourself a pedicure too. Yay, an at home spa treatment day!
Do you have any favourite DIY hair masks? I’d love to hear what you use!